What makes a beautiful room? The right furniture? Beautiful lighting? The right flooring? A lovely colour palette? All of these are important, of course, but there is another secret that can take your space to an entirely new level: textiles.
Technically, whether something is made of smooth plastic or metal, everything has texture. But even though ‘smooth’ is a texture, to really complete a room and amp up its style, it is important to add elements that have movement and patterns that make them inviting and interesting to touch.
Textiles give a room a cozy, complete feel. Perhaps it is because interesting textures are reminiscent of nature. They provide interest while also being soothing. Better yet, the textured look is a huge trend in interior design right now.
We may be known as the online flooring experts, but we also know a thing or two about decorating. Whether you want to add a little or a lot, we have compiled a list of 9 easy ways to add texture to your room.
These easy, affordable suggestions can quickly switch up the entire look and feel of your space. Try one or several of these tips to breathe new life into your rooms or add extra warmth and an inviting feel during cooler months.
1. Choose a Beautiful Rug
Rugs can really tie a room together, add coziness, and create visual appeal. Whether you choose an extra-plush rug, a bold pattern, or a neutral colour, rugs are one of the easiest ways to transform a space with low commitment.
2. Add Texture With Plants
Not only are plants an excellent way to add texture and visual interest, but studies have even shown that plants can help purify the air and improve your mood. Not only will your house look better, but you might even feel better — talk about a win win!
3. Use The Beauty of Books
This may be one of the easiest yet most overlooked ways to make a space feel cosy, finished, and inviting. In fact, it may even be one of our favourite suggestions on this list.
Books are more than just a way to transport yourself to another world, they can also double as intriguing decor. Adding a wall of books or even just a shelf can add warmth, interest, and texture to any room.
Tip: Try stacking books in unique ways or finding clever ways to display them for an extra special touch and to add character to your home.
4. Use Cushions
A few carefully chosen cushions can add colour and style to any space. When choosing the right cushions for your home, there are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Identify your colour palette – Look around the room at any existing colours or decor to help pull a colour palette from. A cushion only needs one of these central colours to carry the theme.
- Consider the size and intention for your room – Cushions can actually be used to give the illusion that a large, open room is cozier than it actually is. A large, bright area decorated with scatter cushions in a dark colour will recede and make the room feel more welcoming and cosy. When matched to curtains, the room will feel even more intimate. Plum, navy, or maroon are all excellent colour options for pulling this look off.
- Pay attention to the number of cushions – If you want to stick with a more traditional feel for your room, stick to an even number of cushions. Try two solid coloured cushions with a smaller coordinating patterned cushion in front of these.If you want a more eclectic vibe, opt for an odd number of cushions. As long as you stick with the colour palette, you can use three or five completely different cushions.
- Play with different sizes and shapes – Try square pillows, rectangular pillows, oblong pillows and then arrange them in different ways. There are many great articles online on how to arrange pillows to pull inspiration from.
- Try different textures – A particularly beautiful look is choosing a subtle neutral colour to use throughout and then adding variety through texture. For example, if you choose all tan pillows, add a wide variety of texture to create an interesting effect. Try suede, knits, satin, velvet, stitching, or even sequins.
- When in doubt, keep it simple – Bold patterns or prints really stand out and can set the tone for an entire room. However, adding bold colours or patterns to an already colourful room can be overwhelming.
5. Consider Window Treatments
Window treatments are one of the best ways to tie a room together and give it a finished appearance. The right length, texture, and fabric are all important to consider when choosing window treatments.
Often acting as the focal point of a room, window treatments are a great area to take advantage of a wide range of fabrics, styles, and colours. While all the options are wonderful to have, they can get overwhelming.
Find yourself asking ‘what length should curtain be’? Or ‘should curtains be solid or patterned’? If you need help answering these questions and sorting through the almost endless options, we found this guide to window treatments extremely helpful.
6. Switch Things Up Depending on the Seasons
Are you the type that gets quickly bored with decor and likes to keep things fresh? One of the easiest and inexpensive ways to invigorate your space is changing out a few pieces of decor based on the season.
Simply by switching out a rug and some cushions once summer hits, you can brighten up the room and give it an entirely new appeal. In the summer months, try bold patterns and bright colours such as orange, yellow, and green. Cooler months call for deeper, earthier tones such as dark green, navy, and maroon. Remember, colour can set the mood for your entire home.
Florals are also an excellent selection for all seasons and the ideas for decorating with florals based on the season are endless.
7. Use Bedding With Multiple Layers and Texture
Layers of fabrics add a cosy, comfortable, soft feel to any bedroom. Start by picking out a set of crisp cotton sheets in the highest thread count your budget allows for. Next, add a lovely quilt, bedspread, or blanket. For the final touch, add throw pillows.
Look for fabrics with texture such as sequins, embroidery, velvet, or knits. Top it off with a chunky knit, or velour throw and you’re ready to enjoy an inviting, luxurious bedroom.
8. Use Faux Animal Prints
Faux animal hides add just as much interest as the real thing and this trend is still going strong.
Not only does faux animal print add texture, but it also adds a vibe that is both luxurious and fun. It works well in a variety of rooms including bedrooms, family rooms, or other living areas.
Classic furniture instantly adopts a more modern, relaxed feel when paired with a faux fur cushion or throw.
The key with animal print is to find the right balance and avoid getting carried away. Too much can overwhelm a room while a piece that is too small will fail to make a statement.
9. Balance is Key
As with almost anything — just like faux animal prints — balance is key. Without enough textiles, a room can feel sterile, cold, unfinished, and bland. Alternatively, a room bursting with textiles might appeal to one person while coming off cluttered and dirty to another. It all comes down to finding the right balance of textiles for your preference and space.
Is it Time for a Change?
Along with beautiful flooring, the right decor can really take a space to the next level. A cheap rug, animal print or bookshelf, for example, can totally transform a room.
We hope you have enjoyed our tips for how to add interest to your home using textiles. If you have any questions or suggestions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.